Monday, July 23, 2012

Big Island Part 8: Not the Typical Snorkeling Adventure

For months I have been reading about South Point and I have found it is known for two things, large pelagic fish (swordfish, tuna, sharks, dolphinfish, jacks, etc) and a nasty current. The current at the point is apparently so strong since ancient times boats have tied to the cliff to avoid been swept away on a non-stop trip to Antarctica. This site was a little spooky, but I had to see what was under the surface. The photos tell the rest of the story.


South Point is the Southern most point in the entire United States and below the cliffs is crystal clear water. The figures below the water are large rocks (van size) about 30-50 feet under water. 

On the top of the cliff is several boat hoist used long ago to lower small boats into the waters below.

Near the boat hoists is this rusty ladder that takes you to the water 40 feet below. It swings in the wind and is made of rebar welded to tube steel. This ladder is usually used by cliff divers who climb back up after jumping to the water below.


Below the ladder is some ropes tied to the cliff and ladder to help anyone who is about to be swept away by the current. 

I threw my camera and fins over my shoulder and climbed down the ladder. The water seemed about 30-40 feet deep at the base of the ladder.


While down there, I did not detect much of a current, but I stayed near the rope just in case. A current pulling you from shore with no chance of rescue is too creepy for me to risk. 
 

Underwater the rope had some interesting life swimming near it. The small fish are baby jacks. They will hopefully grow to be several feet in length. The photo below also has a neat crab on the rope (look carefully).






 Below me was lots of neat fish and large boulders. If you look closely, you can see another ladder. It was kind of a discouraging site.


The hardest part was the climb back up. Here is a photo of the ladder from the water. Some of the ladder seemed a little shady.


This time, I really just wanted to see if I could get down there. With more rope and planning, it would be amazing to dive there. Maybe next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment