Sunday, July 8, 2012

Big Island Part 1: Birds & Condo Tour

After spending our winter break on Maui, Shelley and I decided we wanted more. We planned our summer vacation on the Big Island of Hawaii. I had heard the diving was the best here of all the Hawaiian islands and we felt we really should go somewhere other than Maui.  

We landed and headed to our condo. We arrived and were surprised to find out balcony opens to the ocean and our condo owner is obsessed with early 90's marine life posters, well really early whole condo decor.  With just a spider of daylight left, I grabbed my mask for a quick swim. The surf was rough so I only got a few minutes out there, but the marine life seemed promising.

The only thing close to as cool as fishes is frogs; but birds are a close third. Our first morning here I found neat little yellow birds on the beach below our condo. They hung out with the Java Finches (one of my favorite birds). Here are some photos I snapped of them from fairly far away. I don't know what type of bird the yellow ones are yet, but my first guess is a type of tanager. 



With birds like this around, I decided to make a bird feeder.  If I can bring the birds in closer, perhaps I can get some better photos of them. I have also heard rumors that a flock of wild parrots frequents the are we are staying.


My mom wanted photos of our condo, so here is the tour:

 Our patio/deck is actually where we spend most of the time. We cook breakfast out here and this is where I update the blog.






The complex center is a cool palm garden, pool, and some grills. But what makes our condo so special is that was decorated (we think) by an 8 year old girl who loves dolphins. Check out all these details from the dolphin switch plate covers, to shower curtain rings, to the dolphin table.












This hand-drawn poster of the some couple (perhaps the owners) hangs over the master bed.

This swordfish on the patio is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment