Saturday, July 21, 2012

Big Island Part 7: Video from Deep Below & Awesome Playground

Yesterday, I found a cool small cave about 160 feet down. Unfortunately, it is difficult to take photos of videos that deep because the camera housing starts failing at around 120 feet due to the pressure pushing several buttons on the camera at once. I figured out a way to squeeze a few more out of the camera housing and took a flashlight down to the cave today. I was able to film some neat Hawaiian Longfinned Anthias. There are two videos and descriptions of what was going on below.

The first video you can see long wire corals as I am approaching the cave as well as several fish. The second video mainly features the anthias. The video is not too awesome as most of the functions on the camera were failing due to pressure.


The video starts at about 120 feet as I am swimming through a boulder field and coral rubble. In this area there is a little current and long wire corals grow. Around 45 seconds, you can see several wire corals. At 1:06, I hit the bottom at 162 feet and start filming the cave with my flashlight. At 1:40 you can see my depth at 162 feet and my dive computer starts warning me that I am too deep. The video ends as I approach the Hawaiian Longfinned Anthias. The male is the large one and females are the smaller ones behind them.



In other news, Shelley and I found the coolest playground. It features multi-level castles, bridges, and even ship. Everything is made of wood and very well done. We love the humpback weathervane. It was raining when I took these pictures, so they are not that great, but the park is massive and wonderful.






No comments:

Post a Comment