Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Big Island Part 2: First Dives

Within seconds of dropping below the surface a clear contrast to Maui diving emerged. There are more fish here, more diversity here, and healthier reefs here. The diving is simply better. Within five minutes, I saw more yellow tangs than I did in more than 100 dives on Maui. For example, I have never seen this on a dive this many yellow tangs:


The beautiful reef at this location drops down to at least 85 feet. I dove this site three times today and was impressed every dive. Highlights include finding several Tompsons Butterflyfish (which I have never seen before) and the elusive black morph of the longnosed butterflyfish.


I found this pair of Tompsons Butterflyfish 60 feet below at the end a reef. I have never seen this fish while diving. They are strangely easy to photograph and seem to pose everytime I approached them. 

  

I first became obsessed with the black longnosed butterflyfish when I found one 105 feet down off Molokini in 2008. Today, I found another 69 feet down off the Kona Coast. This fish is rare except possible off the Kona Coasts. I hope to see more of them.

One thing I did not see was any turtles, that was until I climbed out of the water and found one sunning on the beach next to Shelley. 


The flame angelfish is one of the most beautiful of all Hawaiian fish. At the end of a reef (where the reef meets the sand), in 80 feet of water I glimpsed at what I thought might be a more common potter's angelfish. The fish was hiding deep in some finger coral and would only emerge for half a second before hiding again. My second look I immediately recognized the broad black stripes. It was a flame angel. My heart started beating faster as I thought, "I just have a to get a photo of it as proof". Here are the photos I got: 

 First Glimps



The good news about flame angels is apparently they stay in the same location. While underwater, I photographed the surroundings so I could make a map to find these (I think there was a pair) fishes again. With the current swell conditions, I have to wait four days to dive this location again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment